Built in 1926, this Colonial Revival house was constructed as a model home. Its contractor, Allen Dieter, lived in the house until 1942. William Yeatman, a farmer and a gas station owner, became the house’s second owner. Yeatman’s partner, Matthew Stein, bought it in 1945 and his family lived there until 1975, when Bob and Shari Strauss purchased the house. 1124 Grant typifies 1920s housing construction, when pride of craftsmanship and serious interest in revival architecture prevailed.
The Strausses collected primitive furniture and accessories and created a nineteenth-century interior. The walls were painted in dark colors and many featured stenciling. Dark plaid curtains hung at the windows. In January 2001 Don and Julie Bromley bought the house from a man who had owned it for only a year. They set about taking it back to its origins.
The first order of business was updating the plumbing and electrical systems and redoing the wood floors. Today the house once again has a 1920s interior. The Bromleys have lightened every room and restored the bathrooms, with bead board, white tiles, and fixtures. The kitchen has undergone a similar transformation. In the dining room, a built-in cabinet, original to the house, has leaded glass doors. A sunroom on the east side was divided long ago into two rooms.
The Bromleys’ furniture and accessories reflect the contemporary style found in catalogs like Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel. Their home interestingly mixes modern with the 1920s.